What are gadgets you say? Gadgets are all of the fun things you can add to the sidebar of your blog to spice it up and showcase your interests. Today’s tutorial will explain how to add & remove sidebar gadgets.
Adding Sidebar Gadgets
To add a gadget, first go in your dashboard to Layout > Add a Gadget.
A pop-up window will appear with a list of (at this writing) 28 different gadgets. There are also tabs on the left, that if clicked on, will reveal hundreds of more gadgets.
Click the blue “+” button to add the gadget to your blog. Enter in the information each gadget asks for and then be sure to click save. The best way to see what a gadget does is by adding it to your blog and playing around with it. If you don’t like it, you can simply remove it. Here are descriptions of some of the most popular gadgets:
- Blog Search = adds a search bar to your sidebar that helps readers easily search for specific content on your blog
- Profile = adds a profile area with photo and bio to your sidebar
- Blog Archive = lists an archive of all of your blog posts to make it easy for readers to search for things
- Image = adds a graphic or photo to your sidebar
- Labels = shows a list of labels/categories for your blog to make it easy for readers to find content for a specific category
- Link List = adds a list of your favorite sites to help your readers easily navigate to them
- Text = adds a basic text box to your sidebar where you can list information
- Popular Posts = automatically pulls your most popular posts with a featured image so your readers can easily access those posts
Once all of your gadgets have been added, you can rearrange their order by clicking on the gadget you want to move and dragging it into the position you want it.
Removing Sidebar Gadgets
In the Layout tab of your dashboard, find the gadget you wish to remove and click Edit. Then simply hit the Remove button to remove that gadget.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments or shoot us an email: [email protected].